Enjoy Cooking with Your Young Child
10 ways for your child to enjoy cooking, while making it earlier and fun.
- Choose a recipe that your child is willing to eat when all is said and done.
- Read the recipe with your child, have your child check to make sure you have all the ingredients.
- Prep ahead of time. Crop, grate and peel before you start.
- If time, take your child food shopping for the items needed for your cooking project.
- Have your little one ‘Step Up’ to cooking. Have a step stool and apron ready. There are also many fun and affordable child friendly cooking utensils that can be used in every kitchen.
- Leave the mixing and pouring to your child. Give them responsibilities; expect alittle mess and a lot of laughs.
- Don’t forget that cookie cutters can be used for all kinds of fun shapes in food and pizza cutters or plastic knifes make a great alternative instead of sharp knives.
- Make this time a good time to learn about your child’s day. Take the opportunity to listen.
- Taste as you go along. Have your child watch what happens. What is happening in the over, or on the stove? Great opportunity for kitchen safety talk.
- Have your child help set the table. Children can do this on their own and if the utensils and dishes are kept in lower cabinets and drawers it makes it a lot easier while still giving them the responsibility.
Enjoy what your child made and share the experience!